From:
Honeybr000 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 08:40:55 EDT
I have been reading the posts related to Breastmilk and NEC with interest.
All research that I can find shows that babies given breastmilk have the
lowest rate of NEC.  Fresh milk has higher immune properties, frozen milk
still has much higher than formula.  I would start looking at other variables
in your NICU.  Are the babies that are developing NEC receiving indocin?  Are
these babies being fed with UAC or UVC in place?  Review the research and
notice the very low rate of NEC in babies that receive exclusive breastmilk
feedings.  Freezing and thawing the breastmilk should not effect the milk.
Debby Menders RNC
Charleston, WV
Email:  [log in to unmask]