From:
Janice Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Feb 2006 09:46:12 -0600
http://www.inform.kz/txt/showarticle.php?lang=eng&id=139872

17.02 / 09:27 | 102 US Baby Formula found with metal pieces
SEOUL. February 17, 2006. KAZINFORM - Mead Johnson & Company of the United States has been accused of marketing infant formula powder containing metallic impurities under the product name of Enfamil Lipil in South Korea and America.

One of the world's top three infant powder milk producers is exporting the Enfamil products to about 100 countries, KAZINFORM refers to The Korea Times.

Following complaints from U.S. mothers of black impurities in the cans last year, some Korean mothers have found similar granules while feeding their babies by nursing bottles.

The Korea Food & Drug Administration (KFDA) confirmed on Thursday that the impurities in several Enfamil cans are pieces of metallic dirt with magnetic power.

It said that impurities are nickel or iron, adding that that it has been decided to ban sales of Enfamil at stores nationwide. It also plans to investigate other Enfamil products.

The Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry (MAF) is considering barring the import of some milk-powdered products of Mead Johnson & Company.

``I've fed my daughter with Enfamil over the past 14 months,'' said Choi Sun-mee, a housewife residing in Seoul. ``I will not feed my baby with U.S. products any more.''

Furthermore, an anonymous mother said on a website for consumer protection that caterpillars were found in some Enfamil products. The MAF and KFDA have begun checking the allegations.

Enfamil, which was introduced in Korea in 2003, has rapidly increased its market share through active promotions at large discount chains, such as E-Mart and Home Plus, nationwide.

When the impurities were initially found in the U.S., the Indiana-based Mead Johnson & Company said the black pieces were harmless to babies.

The baby formula powder producer has recently deleted a number of consumer complaints filed with its homepage.