From:
Alicia Dermer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Mar 1996 22:41:00 -0500
Kathy:  The most common cause of hair loss after birth (or any other
hormonal change or major stress or illness) is called telogen effluvium,
and it usually starts about 3 months after the stress because that
coincides with the life span of the hair follicles which were affected.
This sounds like it could fit this woman's condition, and it would have
occurred even if she had never breastfed.  It's related to birth, not to
breastfeeding.  Sorry I don't have references, but I'll invoke one of the
favorite replies on Lactnet, that is to ask the physician to supply
references proving that breastfeeding causes this problem.  Hope this
helps, Alicia.  [log in to unmask]