From:
Kate Hallberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 15:03:26 -0800
Colette mentioned last week that the newborn should nurse first, and
someone else suggested that it was better to not nurse the newborn
first always.  When my younger was born, I nursed both (each) whenever
they asked but still had over supply issues manifest in the younger.
My solution, guided mainly with lactnet received wisdom, was to wean
the elder for about 6 weeks until my body started producing as though
I had only one child.  I had no problems with engorgement when  I
weaned the elder, and I had no supply problems when I let her nurse
again.  I had to do a lot of soul searching before I temporarily
weaned, but it fixed my supply and my elder had no problems relearning.

Interestingly, my elder started nursing again at a nurse-in which may
or may not have been LLL sponsored (does LLL sponsor *anything* other
than meetings and conferences?  I guess some might, but not in
Boulder.) THere were local newspaper photographers present and I hoped
that tandem nursers would make the front page, but alas, I think only
my purse did.  :-)

==

Kate Hallberg, mom to Ursula (wow! 4) and Sage (almost 2)
http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~kolina
Does "I hope I've answered your questions" mean "Have I answered?"
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Ridge/8193/