From:
Jodine Chase <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 23:53:29 -0700
A story in our local paper on women's rights and breastfeeding at work. The
article includes references to two different human rights rulings, one in
Alberta, Canada and one in British Columbia, Canada, related to women
breastfeeding at work.

- Jodine Chase

> Breast is best
>
> Women now have the right to breastfeed at work
>
> By SHELLY DECKER, EDMONTON SUN
>
>  Many women don't know they have the right to breastfeed at work, believes a
> spokesman for a local advocacy group.
> Despite a Calgary decision last year that ruled in favour of a woman's right
> to bring her child into the office to breastfeed, the topic comes up at most
> monthly meetings of an Edmonton La Leche League chapter.
> "My sense is that many women either don't start breastfeeding because they're
> anticipating returning to work or they stop before they return to work because
> they don't know how they're going to make it work," said Fiona Audy, a
> spokesman for the group that provides breastfeeding support and information.
> "I'd say it's a big issue."
> "Women are worried about how it's going to be received in the workplace. I
> don't think it's one of those things that gets talked about enough that people
> realize it's a right."
> The topic garners interest at workplace seminars given by Alberta Human Rights
> and Citizenship Commission education director Nicholas Ameyaw.
> "It's definitely an emerging issue in the human rights area. It's something
> that's coming up and gaining momentum. There's no question about it," said
> Ameyaw.

<snip>

http://www.canoe.ca/EdmontonExpress/es.es-11-21-0092.html