From:
Nleeguitar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Mar 1998 12:20:58 EST
Hello Everybody:
    This in response to Pamela's question about signs and symtoms of HDN to
teach parents so they can have enough information to make a choice. This is of
concern to us all, as the only reported cases of  HDN occur in the breastfed
infant.
    We all know Vitamin K is necessary for clotting. So any birth where there
is use of vacuum (ventouse) or forceps, or infant bruising, or if circumcision
is planned or surgery is necessary, in other words, in any situation where
there is risk of or actual bleeding, would be an indication for Vit K.
    A baby that develops petechia (teeny little bruises that look like little
dark spots) in the skin, or bleeding from the intestinal tract or umbilicus
would need to be evaluated for HDN. This could happen in the first 2-7 days of
life, or could develop later on. Which makes me wonder what else is going on
if an exclusively bf baby develops HDN, especially after the 8th day of life
when the infant's levels of Vit K are at the adequate level, what else is
going on. Very interesting, those  comments from Hannah about our clean lives.
Maybe if we were a bit dirtier, we wouldn't need to overdose on antibiotics?
     Lots of research going on now about how much oral Vit K to give....I
didn't know that some of it came from peanut oil. (I know that a lot of Vit E
comes from wheat, which is a reason to ask mothers about wheat intolerance if
they are using Vit. E.) British Medical Journal 1995, March 11 and April 29
have articles about what is being done in the British Isles and in Germany
with Vit. K , plus there is other work on-going on this topic.
    Hope this helps. Warmly, Nikki