From:
Jodine Chase <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 2008 08:35:57 -0600
I would like to note that "detached" behaviours in an infant may not be the
result of poor parenting.

Some of the detached behaviours described - not babywearing, swaddling, and
even bottle propping, may in fact be parents responding to a sensitive
infant's cues.

I have one child, who is now 24 years old, who wouldn't be worn, needed to
be swaddled, slept only when he was in a dark room by himself, wouldn't
nurse while being cradled, and when I went back to work, he strongly
indicated his preference for a propped bottle. All of these things were
completely contrary to my parenting instincts but the strongest instinct of
all for me was to keep the baby happy - so I did.

It took a Nova documentary in 1986 to make me aware of sensory integration
issues, and even now this disorder is under-diagnosed in my community.

We do these babies a disservice by criticizing their parents while ignoring
a possible need for intervention and therapy.

I'm quoting from Catherine Watson Genna's book, "Supporting Sucking Skills
in Breastfeeding Infants: Chapter 10, Sensory Integration and Breastfeeding"

"It is important for professionals working with infants to understand the
principles of sensory integration because feeding difficulties can result
from or be exacerbated by poor sensory processing..."

"Early intervention services can improve the infant's ability to function
and meet developmental tasks. Breastfeeding usually cant' wait for referral,
testing, and treatment to be completed, so lactation consultants need to
know how to assist infants with sensory processing disorders."

Jodine Chase
Who has returned to Lactnet after being away for some time.