From:
Kate Hallberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 2004 10:00:54 -0800
awhile ago I got myself on the Similac and Carnation
mailing lists just to see how egregious they are- they
are *awful*, btw.  My newest baby was ostensibly due
at the end of January and I've gotten lots of formula
and lots of promotional literature full of delightful
babies and thrilled mommies bottlefeeding and an
occasional less fashionable mom breastfeeding.
Yesterdays's was particularly awful- oh, they come at
pretty much the same time from different companies-
pretty well timed.  Similac's had a lot of "what's
next?" sort of sections in theirs but the worst was
"some mothers find that pumping and being able to give
baby their milk when they're away allows them to
breastfeed longer."  Yeah, right.  My neighbor did
just that and the baby is fully weaned by 11 mos- and
the baby did it, mom had nothing to do with it since
baby just declined the breast.   :-((

Nestle's was a book of milestones, with stickers you
could put in for "holds bottles", "fully weaned from
breast", etc- all in little hearts.  IMO, the hearts
should be shaped like teardrops.

what a load of hooey these companies are putting out
and what an insidious influence they have on all the
basics of parenting in our culture.

=====
Kate, http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~kolina/advantages-of-formula.html  Mom to Ursula (9), Sage (6.95), Benno (3!)    "I've always believed in ... 'Freedom of choice, based onknowledge of alternatives.'  I believe if a mom chooses to bottle feed, that is her choice. But she has to have the knowledge of what breastfeeding would provide for her and ... for her baby so that she can make an educated decision about it." ~Libby Averill Rosen

http://www.intellectualpoison.com/WalMartisPureEvil.html