From:
Sue Ann Kendall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 May 1995 16:17:38 -0600
>>The public has a right to know who are skilled and who are not, who have
>>information and knowledge that can be trusted and so on.
>>
>>Your ideas on this?  Speak up , everyone.

Speaking as a non-nurse LLL Leader, I make every effort to tell mothers who
call me for help that I am a fellow nursing mother, not an LC, and do not
hesitate to recommend the wonderful local LCs who have helped me many
times.  Some situations are easily handled by peer counseling; others need
the assistance of someone with a great deal of training and experience
(some of the things I read on LACTNET are amazingly difficult cases and I
am impressed at how well they are handled by experienced LCs).

I think the LCs should be called upon in cases where their training is
needed, and groups like LLL and others are very useful for support and
basic information.

As a mother, I have had two births, one of which was accompanied by some
abysmal nursing "advice" by a non-LC RN, and the other when I was left
alone until I asked a question, which was then answered sensitively by a
different nurse.  That's the crux: you just can't tell whom you can trust
without the credentials, especially if you are a first-time parent.

Sue Ann Kendall, mother of two small boys, editor, La Leche League Leader,
Prairienet Publications Committee Queen
[log in to unmask]                        http://www.prairienet.org/~sak
        http://www.prairienet.org/community/health/laleche/homepage.html