From:
Emily Lindsey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 2006 11:11:07 -0400
Sounds all too familiar to me. Sorry for the late post, I have been out of
town! At 6 weeks of age my son developed horrid gas pains, green stools
that then persisted to green mucousy stools and then the blood. I love
dairy and such was on a high amount. I cut out all dairy for 2 weeks and
kept it out until 6 months when I slowly added it back in. His ped even had
me try soy formula for one feed which I knew I did not want to, but did
with no avail it made it worse. The allergist we later saw said that the
highest cross allergen is dairy x soy and when I watched my intake of soy
as well as dairy that did the trick! This is not the easiest and I try to
give mothers alternatives to what they can eat, not what they cant...this
way it stays positive and not all about what they cannot do.

I also had a very abundant supply with a heavy let down and such went to
feeding one breast for every 3 hours. This also helped his gas immensly. I
hope it helps, I found a great way to help moms once this happened to me
because they just wanted to hear it would get better and I was proof right
in front of them.

He is not allergic to any foods that we know of, but a highly sensitive
child. To this day (almost 2) he does not drink cows milk only breastmilk
but can haev cheese and some yogurt easily. I believe in watching him and
subsequent children with the same problems that these are the kids that
need to be BF for sure and until age 2 when their gut "is more solid" just
what I have seen in clients, etc and myself.

Emily Lindsey, BSPsy, CLE
Private Practice Merced, CA