Date:
Sat, 11 Mar 2000 16:00:08 +0000
Valerie asks:
>I have a feeling this may be a court battle in the making because they can
>claim its closeness to human milk.  How will we, breastfeeding advocates,
>respond?  They, the formula companies aren't lying.  The issues are about
>biotechnology and how what people are willing to allow in the pursuit of new
>products and markets.  Valerie W. McClain, IBCLC

This whole issue shows how it's never enough to proclaim breast milk and
breastfeeding as a health issue - though of course it is.  But if it is
*only* a health issue, or even *primarily* a health issue, some clever
boffn can come along and say 'ha! we have an identical product!'

Breastfeeding is a right, of a mother and baby. It is every mother's right
to choose to do it, and to expect the social and emotional and financial
support she needs in order to make it happy. We don't have to prove it's
'better' - it's not a consumer product, but a part of a relationship which
we have a right to.

Of course, nothing made in a lab can ever be identical to the living
ever-changing fluid of an individual mother's own body and taken by her
individual baby in their individual circumstances. We have a hard time
'proving' that, though.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK