From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Aug 2005 19:10:38 +0200
There is another study, published in March in Pediatrics, and now freely
available, on the effects of early human milk feeding, and early attainment
of full enteral feeding, for very low birth weight babies, and how that
seems to reduce the risk of NEC and late-onset septicemia.  It is by
Ronnestad A, et al and I see that the head of our neonatal unit was in the
collaborating group.  This is NOT a clinical trial.  It is a prospective
report of current practice and outcomes here in Norway.  So, it can not
establish causality, but since they managed to enroll over 99% of all babies
born less than 1000 g (2.2 lb) for the two year period the study lasted,
they do have some impressive data!

Go to http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/ and do a search for Ronnestad,
and then click on the article titled "Late-Onset Septicemia in a Norwegian
National Cohort of Extremely Premature Infants Receiving Very Early Full
Human Milk Feeding"

I was sorry to see that they didn't mention that our banked milk is
unpasteurized - it probably just didn't even occur to them to point that
out.  In some units, milk with bacteria counts over the defined limit will
be pasteurized, but then it would only be used for babies who need food,
like term babies of diabetic mothers, and not for babies who need enhanced
immune support.  The very very small babies always get unpasteurized milk,
and they are given their mother's colostrum just as soon as we can get it to
them.  We don't have NICUs where mothers room in with babies from day one,
and we don't do 24/7 kangaroo care anywhere in the country.  These babies
were also given commercial fortifier mixed in with the milk.

This study was funded by the Norwegian Research Council (government) and the
Norwegian Foundation for Health and Rehabilitation, a non-commercial entity
without ties to industry.

Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway