Date:
Thu, 31 May 2007 22:12:29 -0500
> I wondered why I grew up thinking I was breastfed and I think seeing my
> auntie breastfeeding my cousin had a big impact on me - I was about 6 at
> that time and still have a very clear picture in my mind - down to the
> details of where she was sitting and the curtain.

This reminds me of my cousins.  Twins boys, born by emergency cesarean (my
Aunt starting seizing during labor from toxemia) in 1976 where breastfed for
a handful of months - but I remember hearing one of them "bragging" when
they where about 18 (and I was hanging around nursing my almost 2 year old)
that they nursed long after they could walk.

The only thing that my Aunt could think of was that most of her friends, and
thus their social connections, ended up be 70's hippy types (they where John
Hold home/unschoolers, grew their own food, knew several home birthers, etc)
so it just made sense to them - of course babies are born to breastfed!

Jessica Mattingly M.Ed., CCE, LLLL, IBCLC
Kansas City, MO

PS - My mom weaned me at 6 months in order to return to paid employment but
couldn't find good infant care so didn't.  She said she used 2% milk because
she didn't have any education on commercial infant milks since she left the
hospital breastfeeding LOL.  My two younger siblings where each nursed for
about a year.