From:
Paula Bermingham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jun 1997 22:12:53 -0700
Idealization of artficial feeding takes many forms...but the Peter
Rabbit formula cans are a violation of the Code (or am I wrong on
this?).

It seems that with as much *support* for bfing within the WIC program
(or at least California WIC - if the hare (sic) milk is only used here)
that there could be enough voices to at least have WIC contract with the
maker(s) of ABM to afix a *generic* type label on the can for the stuff
issued via WIC. Commodity programs still issue containers of food with
plain labeling (ie, Powered milk,  flour) no brand name, no guise of
affluence there.

Does anyone else feel that this should be a realtively easy task...to
get the formula given thru WIC a generic label. It could be stocked
alongside the other brands at stores, _OR_ given out only at special
places (a long time ago I thought I heard that in another country this
system is/was used).

This would make it *less acceptable*.  Somewhat akin to helping smokers
learn about the danger of second-hand tobacco smoke, especially for
children to breathe since they breathe quicker and consume more smoke
second hand than adult-nonsmokers in the house. THEN the catch is ...
this person is outside *being a good parent* and standing on the porch,
still smoking but missing the comfortableness (really sic) that went
along with smoking and watching TV, talking etc, in the house! And they
start to figure out that this is an imposition. That smoking isn't good
for them, and a lot of the comforting aspects have been altered to be
not so comfortable.

So, mom wants to use ABM. The govt foots the bill. But alas, there is no
cute bunny. There is no nice label. It may even mean another trip to a
differing, maybe less acceptable locale to obtain.

I like the idea.
Feed back, please. ON lactnet or privately. But please resond with your
views. If there's a *majority*., if it sounds like a *go* then let's
have lactnet acomplish even more good (I love the sounding board, the
learning experience and all that)...let's stop the bunny business.

Thank you, owners, for setting up Lactnet.

Paula Bermingham, IBCLC
CEMR-WIC Lake County California