From:
Kathy Eng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Apr 2003 18:14:05 -0500
I apologize if it sounded like I was saying all hospital IBCLCs are not as highly trained as PPLC. This is not what I meant. Reality in my community is that the hospital IBCLCs (or nursing staff) do not have the time to work with patients long enough to solve challenging breastfeeding problems.

This has led to many women in my part of town under valuing and rejecting the "Lactation Consultant" profession.  I hear several times a month from women who feel they did NOT have proper help from a "breastfeeding expert" in the hospital and are now very reluctant to have a lactation consult with someone else. And I think many pediatricians feel the same way because I have heard such comments from mothers repeating what their pedi said.

This trend worries and frustrates me greatly.

I have worked as a hospital LC, private practice, and LC for WIC. Each one has its own set of problems. I see us all as over worked and under appreciated. Most of us are very giving -- enough to work for free (or do home consults for free to poor women). We worry over our moms and babies.

Kathy Eng, BSW, IBCLC
Houston, Tx