From:
Ann Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Oct 1998 20:23:29 EDT
There is a 3 month old who has developed problems in the past few weeks. The
baby had torticollis toward the rt side and some slow development, wt, ht and
hc in 50%. This baby has only been formula fed. A neuro exam was done and
found to be normal, x-rays were also normal but metabolic studies were
abnormal. They found an increase in dicarboxylic acids due to either diet or
defect in fatty acid oxidation.
The nurse telling me this story said they're approach was to put the baby on
Ailumnet(?sp). What they are trying to avoid is coconut oil ( which all
formulas contain ).
The baby did not tol this so switched to Nutramigen.
Since I've heard this story I told the nurse this would be an ideal case to Rx
Human Milk, she said she would share this with the pedi. Several days have
gone by and I called again to find out the nurse and pedi have not offered
this option to the mom because "she feels bad enough and they don't want to
add to her guilt."
I said "assuming her guilt does not address the problem and they should look
into what human milk would offer this baby and contact the milk bank for
info."
I am so frustrated!!!
Lois, I gave them your number to contact you.
Any sugestions?
Thanks,
Ann Perry RN IBCLC
Boston, Mass    USA