From:
Maureen Minchin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Aug 1996 01:22:40 +1000
Back on the Net after long absence, but only intermittently for the next
month (too busy, alas) and I have to comment on
<<high fever increases the permeability of cell walls (whether to bacteria
or toxin, I don't know), therefore increasing risk of illness for baby>>

Actually the increase in cell wall permeability allows macrophages and
other immune factors to get to the seat of the problem and do their job. No
logic to pump and dump and it's only recommended to my knowledge when the
breastmilk is so full of pus that the baby turns up his nose and refuses,
due to taste changes. There were, in pre-antibiotic days, a few babies who
developed major problems: toxins leading to kidney failure far more than
infection leading to harm. But I still think the risk to mother and baby
alike from cessation of good emptying of the mastitis breast (which,
remember, is only sometimes infected anyway) means "pump and dump" should
be dumped.

Maureen Minchin