From:
Diane DiCarlo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Jan 1997 07:51:00 -0500
<<Got a call from a mom today saying her milk spoils within hours after
pumping.
She can express milk and it appears normal (no clotting), but it clots (she
was
aware of milk _separating_  and stated this was not the usual separation of
curd
and whey, but clotting with a change in odor to smelling like spoiled milk.>>

I don't have the reference handy, but here's what I've read on the subject.
Some women have larger amounts of lactase in their milk which causes it to
sour very quickly. It's not terribly common, but the milk basically begins to
break itself down in a short period. Usually a foul taste and odor can be
noticed within hours.

The only way I know of to de-activate the enzyme is to heat the milk. While
that *will* kill the beneficial fauna in the milk, the milk will last longer.
The milk that the baby receives directly from the mother will have to be
relyed on to assist the child's immune system. Of course, even heated
breastmilk is better than none -- but I would still strongly urge any woman
who does this to make sure that the child gets as many feeds at the breast as
possible.

<<I suggested  the use of Lecithin as Dr. Lawrence's book recommends for
caking of
milk ducts related to plugs forming, even though her milk changes after being
expressed.  Any other suggestions?>>

The lecithin won't help. She needs to eliminate the enzyme.

Diane DiCarlo