From:
Tammie Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 00:08:52 EDT
Hello all,
I had a first time Mom call me the other day with this question. "The doctor
says to feed every two to three hours my new born baby. Do I start the timing
from when I start the feed or finish the feed?"  I told her to watch the baby
not the clock. When she saw the baby rooting and opening her mouth to tune in
to her needs and feed her as often as she felt like she needs to eat. The
baby sometimes was taking up to 45 minutes or more for one feeding off both
breasts. Weight gain is good. On birthday 7-2 her birth weight was 7.13 oz
then one week later on 7-9 she weighed 7.9 oz. and then regained her birth
weight by that Friday 7-12 she weighed 7.13 oz. Mom says baby is not sleeping
very many hours for a newborn. This Mom was not practicing any laying down
nursing so I encourged her to do that because she is wearing out physically.
I told her it that at first it does seem to take alot of time to breastfeed
but within a few weeks the babies work into their own pattern or schedule. So
what is the official answer to her question or is there one? Any ideas are
appreciated. Please e-mail to me off the list as well as on because I am
currently "No mail".  Thank you all for your patience as I continually learn
to help Moms with breastfeeding.
Also, any ideas for bullentin boards in WIC offices. I have to come up with a
couple of boards for breastfeeding.
Breastfeeding Peer Counselor,
Tammie Gregory   (Mom of seven and recentley weaned 2 year old)