From:
vgthorley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jul 2006 17:45:34 +1000
I'm nomail at the moment.  However, I wanted to comment on the normal, tasteful photograph of a mother and baby breastfeeding on the front cover of the US magazine Babytalk.  It was on the homepage of my email server, which has US news. I wouldn't even be remarking on the picture (it's simply normal, no more, no less), except for the main focus of the report - the appalling fact that people had complained about the picture.  Amazing!
Clearly, if breastfeeding babies were seen every day, everywhere the mothers have the right to be, it would be so common and so normal that it wouldn't be remarked on.  (I'm sure this has been debated on Lactnet - but as I'm offline, I haven't seen the strand.)  Society *can* change - look at the changes in the attiudes to smoking, for instance, or the acceptability of skirts shorter than ankle-length, and so on.
As I'm nomail, any comments to me privately.
Cheers
Virginia
in Brisbane

PS.  All the best to other Lactnetters who are sitting the IBLCE exam on Monday, whether an new candidates or to recertify.
Virginia (cohort of 1985).
Virginia