From:
Mary Renard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Jan 1996 15:47:11 -0500

>  We recently had a mother that was prescribed Prozac for 7-10 days for
>post partum depression.  According to our resources, it was safe for her to
>breastfeed, but her pediatrician would not approve it.  This upset the
mother
>terribly that she was to take the baby off the breast.  Therefore, she
>delayed starting the med and also stopped taking it prematurely so she could
>resume breastfeeding.

........"This upset the mother terribly...."  .I've *always* wondered this:
 why has it ever been considered OK to separate mom and baby (literally,
through hospitalization, or figuratively, through weaning) for PPD when it
would seem that the mom's separation from her baby would be even more
devastating?  I know that if her depression is serious enough that she or her
baby are in danger, it's a different story, but that's not what we're talking
about, usually, with PPD.  Not looking for answers, it's really a rhetorical
question that is "preaching to the choir," but it's always been one of my big
head-scratchers....

Mary Renard, scratching my head now while looking at the sky waiting for snow
that will supposedly be "measured in feet, not inches," in Vienna, VA USA