From:
Joy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 1997 13:42:06 +0900
 it turns out a more
>pervasive complaint is that the baby presses his upper teeth into her
>nipple throughout the feeding and is leaving indentations that are
>getting progressively more tender.

Terry, have these top teeth recently emerged? It is possible that the
baby's saliva when teething is more irritating. An old (and still current)
NMAA suggestion for this sort of problem is to rinse the nipples with plain
water after baby has fed to remove all traces of his saliva.

Lansinoh might be useful too during this period of time.

I still remember when my second child got her top teeth that she left
significant indentations on my areola (I was only feeding from one breast
by that stage), and it was quite painful. I tried to position her a bit
higher and this helped a bit, but eventually the pain subsided, even though
the indentations from her teeth kept being left. So if the mum can 'hang in
there' for a while, it should get better. Of course if baby is biting as
well, that is a different problem, and can cause quite nasty damage that
would make the nipples sorer.

Joy Anderson B.Sc. Dip.Ed. Grad.Dip.Med.Tech. IBCLC
Nursing Mothers' Association of Australia Breastfeeding Counsellor
Perth, Western Australia.   mailto:[log in to unmask]