From:
Jodine Chase <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Nov 2006 14:45:41 -0700
An older sister of mine has done some missionary work and six/seven years
ago she and her husband arrived in a local rural community in an African
nation the day the village chief's wife died in childbirth. My sister took
charge of the newborn - the chief had 8 or 9 other children. She cared for
him as her own and later she and arranged for him to be adopted into a
family in their church - she and my brother-in-law serve as his adopted
grandparents.

I asked her recently if she had attempted to relactate and she told me she
did try, but she was discouraged by local health professionals (non-African)
who told her she wouldn't be able to because she was approaching menopause.

So she stopped. It's too bad as it's likely that had she continued to suckle
the infant, she would have relactated.

I post this just as a reminder that believing relactation is possible is a
big part of the battle.

-- Jodine Chase
Who relactated at the age of 40.