From:
Kathy Dettwyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Feb 2000 08:25:01 -0600
I received the following email from a woman concerned about the possibility
of giving her child allergies through breastfeeding.  I wrote back some
ideas, but also asked her permission to post this to the list for more
wisdom, and she agreed.  Her name is Nancy.  Please post replies directly to
her at [log in to unmask]

Thanks.

Kathy Dettwyler

>Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 21:53:36 -0500
>From: Jeff/Nancy Orndorff <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: breastfeeding and allergies
>
>Hi,
>
>I am very thankful for your information on breastfeeding, especially
>about
>toddler nursing!
>
>I was wondering if you know or could point me in the right direction
>concerning breastfeeding and allergies.
>
>My mom "thinks" she gave my brother an allergy to corn via
>breastfeeding. She stopped nursing him at 8 months and switched him to soy
formula. From what I have read about antibodies and such with breastfeeding,
I think he was
>born with corn allergy. My son Zachary has had nasal congestion from birth,
but that is supposedly normal. My mother also feels that Zack is "hyper" due
to allergies. He always has watery eyes and dark circles under his eyes, has
more than average amount of colds, 3 bouts of sinusitis. He is only 2.5
years old.

>*Note: My sister (whom was not breastfed) had allergies at 4 months old
>to milk, corn, barley, rice, oats, bananas, eggs, horse hair, grasses, etc.
I'm not
>sure about wheat.
>
>She really feels that I should have weaning him long ago and switched
>him to soy.  That way I would have gotten more sleep at night and I
wouldn't have
>been so stressed out and he would not have had allergies. Since some allergies
>are hereditary, I don't know why she feels this way.
>
>I feel that Zack needs to nurse. He nurses all the time (about every 2-3
>hours) at 2.5 years and he really doesn't like foods all that much. He is
an extremely picky eater.

>My results are not all in for allergy skin testing. So far I'm allergic
>to dust mites, orchard grass pollen, some molds, cat and dog dander.
>I'm also allergic to rye, barley, corn, rice, oats, crab, flounder,
>lobster, & tuna.  It isn't any wonder I've been sick so often. I'm also
sensitive to
>wheat.  I do not know if they consider a delayed reaction an allergy or a
>sensitivity. I will know in 2 weeks for with the follow-up appointment.
Round 2 for