From:
Kathy Dettwyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 1997 17:49:44 -0500
Lisa wrote:

Second comment: I've just learned that, as of a couple of weeks ago, the
latest word for sleep position is *BACK ONLY*, not even side-lying anymore.
Anyone know what brought that about?

I don't know about the rest of you, but back lying when the baby is NOT
co-sleeping (i.e., is in a crib in another room) makes me VERY NERVOUS.  I
had the horrible experience of waking up to find my back-sleeping but
co-sleeping 3 month old had thrown up and was choking and coughing and
gasping for air.  Fortunately, I was right there next to him, and heard him
immediately, and was able to sit him up and clear out his mouth and nose and
pat him on the back.  It was SCARY, big time.  If he had been sleeping by
himself in a crib in another room, I feel sure he would have died.

There were good reasons why they told us for so many years not to put babies
on their backs to sleep, because of the risk of vomiting and asphyxiation.
Are we trading one evil for another?  Can we justify recommending back
sleeping when we KNOW the baby will be in another room?  Especially if the
baby is bottle-fed and more likely to vomit, and more likely to aspirate
stuff that isn't good for his lungs??

Or am I being paranoid based on a sample size of one??

Katherine A. Dettwyler, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Anthropology and Nutrition
Texas A&M University