Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 09:53:43 +0100
>Rachel and Heather have both discussed the use of epidurals in the last few
>hours of labor and a lack of associated problems with the initiation of
>breastfeeding.

Not quite. I said we didn't know about them - but really, no one is
looking, so it's not surprising we don't find a correlation.  But epidurals
in the UK are typically offered as a single dose towards the end of first
stage, and I speculated that this might be why we don't know of a link
(that is, smaller dose).

I see and hear of more problems with bf associated with diamorphine use,
which is very common.

This is so often the drug of choice for the UK - yet it seems useless (in
many cases) at relieving pain effectively, and has an *obvious* effect on
the baby for up to  2-3 days.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK