From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 07:45:47 EST
Dear Folks:
   Teens also enjoy very much that breastfeeding makes them the mother. Often,
at least where I live (Philadelphia area, northeast coast of USA) the baby's
grandmother or some other female relative will care for the baby when the teen
returns to school. Teens can be pushed aside as the significant person in
their baby's life......unless they are breastfeeding.  Teens also love how
they can sleep and breastfeed at the same time, and talk on the phone and
breastfeed at the same time. I've noted some teens to catch on to the phone
skill within 24 hours of birth!
    One 15-year old woman, who was totally silent and listening during all our
interactions (where she was called every day for the first week postpartum and
fairly often the second week, with a dwindling frequency of support calls as
the baby got older) actually waxed rhapsodic over how her baby smiled at her
when she got home from school.  This heretofore silent woman became verbose!
This is power. Warmly, Nikki Lee