From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 11:09:53 +0100
Kathy Eng's post illustrates my point about the care delivery system
perfectly.
How on earth can hospitals in a country like the US, where you can get sued
for anything, take the chance on drugging babies into somnolence before
they're even born, and then sending them home before they are fully
detoxified, much less able to perform basic 'activities of daily living'
like say, EATING?
And given what is known about the consequences of failed breastfeeding, how
on earth can they dare to continue to sabotage it willfully or accidentally
in this way?
Babies survive all manner of pre-lacteal feeds and have done for centuries.
That doesn't mean we should keep giving them pre-masticated grains, teas,
sugar water, formula, sour cream porridge (Norwegian tradition, now
relegated to history) or whatever, until the colostrum gives way til mature
milk or until the baby wakes up.  In the enlightened world we have a duty to
do no harm (give them nothing harmful), and to try to do good (promote the
establishment of lactation).  All care should be in line with these
principles, and that care begins *before* birth.
Rachel Myr
cranky in Kristiansand, Norway