From:
Susan Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Dec 2009 11:11:07 -0800
Angela, I find it interesting that you and your husband each sucked a thumb until age 9+ since my particular interest is normal nursing/weaning patterns.

I've offered a monthly discussion group for mothers nursing longterm since January 1993.  Since we do not have the library of scientific date on the effects pacifiers longterm that we have for the first year, I offer some observations from mothers I've observed over time.

I have yet to see a child nurse past the fourth birthday with pacifiers or thumbsucking in the picture.  I do see children nursing past the 4th, 5th, and sometimes 9th birthdays when mothers are open to a continuing relationship.  Mothers have often commented to me they felt a pacifier played a role in a child's view of the breast as a source of nourishment but not a source of
 comfort.

Mothers and children lead weaning in different ways and I feel it is my responsibility to offer information to mothers who wish to better understand and guide their own nursing relationships.  Yes, "there are MUCH worse choices
that parents can make" but that doesn't mean we should mis-represent the potential impact of pacifiers with so much data available.  It is one thing for a mother to make an informed decision to use a pacifier, it is quite another for lactation professionals to fail to inform mothers of potential risks.  Many mothers have little interest in pacifiers, some only pick them up because they think pacifiers are a normal part of babyhood.  A mother joked to me the other day that dummies are "issued in hospitals with babies."

There's no getting around the fact that pacifiers are not the biological norm.  My understanding from anthropology circles is that thumbsucking is not a normal practice in cultures where breastfeeding cotinues uninterrupted.  Many of us have personal experiences that include detours we would not classify as normal or helpful to breastfeeding.  Hopefully these experiences allow us to be compassionate
 caregivers as we offer research-based support.

My goal in supporting breastfeeding relationships is to offer as much information about the biology and practice of breastfeeding as possible.  My success can't be measure in months or years of breastfeeding but I hope it is found in each woman's personal satisfaction with her choices.  This can't be measure either, but it remains my goal.

And like Dawn (who kids she doesn't know what she did "differently" to produce "different" kids) I sometimes think the more I experience, the less I know!  We are still fishing, all of us.

Susan Johnson MFA, IBCLC
Salt Lake City USA
Thuwal KSA