From:
Karen Nelson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jun 1996 12:16:34 +0000
Hi Everyone,

I am wondering if any of you know if they have recently changed the
formulation (fillers, flavoring, coloring, base?) of Nystatin. Dr. Tom,
can you shed any light on this?

In the not-too-distant past Nystatin was one of those few medications
that was considered almost universally effective and virtually innocuous
and this is definitely *NOT* what I am seeing these days.  In the last
month I have had three (I cover a rather small population) moms who have
had a very bad reaction (burning & worsening of the redness) to Nystatin
cream on the nipples.  The last one actually didn't use the cream on her
nipples (doc rx'd something else for that) but had the burning pain only
following a nursing of the baby, who *WAS* being treated w/Nystatin
orally.  Once she timed the baby's dose to allow more absorption time
the problem got better.

I seem to remember someone else questioning this a while back on
Lactnet, but I don't recall if we ever saw the reply.  Is anyone else
seeing this?  Is this reaction occurring a lot, or are these really
isolated idiosyncratic side effects?  Has anyone reported this reaction
to the manufacturer?  Is there more than one manufacturer?  Might this
be a quality-control problem?

I would appreciate any and all information on this topic.

Karen, in muggy Central Pennsylvania (US), where my DH has convinced me
that an air conditioner in my sunny kitchen window might not look too
bad after all!