Date:
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 08:46:42 -0600
 When I've got it, even drinking water hurts. NOT
>a good way to diet.

An important reminder for those of us working with infants with thrush.
Their mouth's/throats hurt too. My mother said that when she had thrush the
only thing that she could drink without a lot of pain was pear nectar.

So treating those little mouths is important not just so Mom's nipples
aren't sore any more.  If a mother has had vaginal yeast, I ask her to
remember how it felt and suggest that her infant's mouth hurts in the same
way. They are then more eager to insist on treatment for their infant.

And the throat is sore first, before one can see the white coating on the
tongue and patches on the cheeks. I find that an early sign of thrush is an
infant who had been feeding long and well and who suddenly feeds for a
short time and very frequently, often fussy at breast. Her throat is sore
so she feeds just until she is not so hungry any more, then stops. I have
had many clients whose infants immediately return to their normal pattern
of feeding upon getting treatment for their yeasty throats.

Pat Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Mailto:[log in to unmask]