From:
Sanna-Mari <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Jun 2007 18:27:24 +0300
Well, a friend of mine had should I say a very challening baby a few
years ago, I have no idea how she ever survived the sleep deprivation
(though, her fourth baby was even more challening...). The baby had
allergies, mom thought of GERD too, and the baby only slept in very
short snaps. Finally she gave up co-sleeping, and hung up a baby
hammock from one corner to other of the baby's cot. The cot was pushed
right next to parent's bed, so when the baby woke up at nights, she
outstretched one of her arms to swing the hammock. That did not stop
her baby from waking up and sleeping 'poorly', but it sometimes helped
the baby back to sleep quicker. (If someone is wondering, yes, this
baby spent the first several months in a baby sling, as that was the
only way to keep her even somewhat happy.)

Amby Baby got me thinking of my friend's hard times, so I wouldn't
judge it right away - there are babies and there are babies. One
doesn't have to push the Amby Baby to the lone corner of baby's room
(like on the pictures), it could just as well be placed right next to
mom's bed.

Amby Baby actually reminds an old Finnish sort-of-baby-cot,
"hurstipussi". The baby was wrapped in a sling type of cloth, and the
whole bundle was hanged up to a tree branch. By that way moms were
able to work on the fields/outdoors/whatever, while some of the older
kids were looking after the baby, swinging the hurstipussi, and
running to get the mom to help/feed if needed.

By the way, I loved the Nova Scotia posters. They were so nicely
colourful, happy, joyful...

Sanna-Mari
bf support group leader / Imetyksen tuki ry
Finland, Scandinavia