From:
laviolle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Mar 1998 04:42:55 -0500
I have been a LLLleader for 18 years and I had my three children in the
70s. I remember a time when we did not know anything on positioning . I had
sore nipples and many mothers around me had sore even bleeding nipples
which eventually healed and were no longer a problem after a few days/weeks
if the mother was persistent  ( or masochistic enough). I think what
happened is that the baby acquires more stability and if he has the chance,
learns to suck effectively. But meanwhile the mother suffers like hell, her
milk supply dwindles and I am  so grateful to Kittie Frantz and Chloe
Fisher who taught us about positioning in the early 80s. In a traditional
culture, what the women are expected to do is just clench their teeth and
persevere (in French : Serre les dents, ma fille)

In 1994 I had the priviledge to make an survey of Mothers' support groups
in the Ivory Coast  on behalf of UNICEF ;We surveyed 12 groups mostly in
the countryside, only one in Abidjan. So these are places where
Breastfeeding was highly prevalent and lasted a long time. Nevertheless,
the leaders of these groups were very happy to have heard about positioning
and to be able to help the mothers to prevent sore nipples and low milk
supply through this simple intervention.It seemed to save a lot of time and
suffering.   The other and most important thing the Baby friendly Hospital
Initiative had made them aware of was the importance of exclusive bf in a
culture where babies were given water routinely. Thanks to the word spread
by these groups even the elders in the villages told us that they were very
happy because the babies  were less sick than before.

What I want to point out here is that when we work toward a breastfeeding
and mother and baby friendly world we are INVENTING that world,  we are not
coming back to a golden age or going to a golden place . I think
breastfeeding gives us a sense of sisterhood with women all over the world
,we all have to learn together and share  the art of breastfeeding so that
everywhere a young mother can have access to the best possible information
and support.

Gisele Laviolle LLLL, IBCLC
sending everyone a little early spring feeling from Paris