From:
Patricia Gima <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 2003 07:43:29 -0500
>  but
>she continues to double pump 7-8 times/day because baby is not
>latching.  Now, four days later
>and with baby now 7 days old, mom is still only expressing 20-30 cc
>colostrum on R and nothing at all on L.

I may be missing something, but if mom is pumping 7-8 times a day and
getting 20-30cc of colostrum this should be enough to nourish her
baby.  Colostrum is very concentrated and a little goes a long way.

Of course, if baby has been given large amounts of formula or other fluids,
thinking that baby needs more volume than the colostrum gives, then baby's
GI tract is no longer a "normal" newborn system.

I have had clients whose "mature milk" was not in before 7 days and baby
was well nourished on colostrum during that week.  If baby has nothing by
mouth other than colostrum she will not urinate much as her body holds on
to the fluids until a greater volume of liquid is consumed.

Some of us remember the earthquake in Mexico City some years ago in which
several newborns were buried under the rubble of a hospital.  They were
recovered after 9 days and they were all fine.  They had not urinated but
as soon as they were given water they did so.  These children have been
followed, and they are teens now and have experienced no untoward effect of
their beginning.

Heleen's sister's story would likely encourage your client to keep on
keeping on.

Pat Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconcin

Mailto:[log in to unmask]