From:
Anne Andrianos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Mar 2003 06:37:06 -0800
Dear Kathleen: Thank you for your post clarifying your
position as listmother on war discussions and Lactnet.
I agree that Lactnet is not the proper forum for
discussion of the current event taking palce in Iraq.
I do respectfully disagree with you that discussions
of breastfeeding matters as affected by the conflict
are not appropriate for discussion on Lactnet.

Never before has there been such a group of keen
,articulate breastfeeding professionals in touch with
each other around the globe. As you have noted,, this
group has suscribers from over 50 countries, of
several religions and cultural groups and have
differing ideas about promoting and protecting
breastfeeding. There are LC's in several other
countries that are directly engaged in this conflict
and could profit from an exchange of support ideas and
programs. Lastly, Lactnet subscribers know people in
other organizations who can also help breastfeeding
mothers and babies. It seems to be that we are not
taking advantage of an important opportunity to
interact and link on a greater stage through our own
dialog.

War provides an opportunity to observe, study, learn
about a natural process (breastfeeding) in unusual
conditions. I think that we all could learn more about
how adversity affects lactation...not thru reading a
book or journal article printed years ago, but
studying the problems now. We might also learn about
how to help lactating women around the world in
unusually stresseful conditions (emotional,
psychological and physical). I think it isunfortunate
to miss/avoid this learning/helping experience.

I am not suggesting, after reading your clarifying
post and request, that any mention of the current
conflict in Iraq be brought up again on Lactnet. I did
want, however, to clarify my beliefs. I will not post
again on this matter.

Respectfully, Anne Andrianos