From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Oct 2003 20:47:36 +0200
Ibolya Eva Rosza is having server problems and I am posting this on her
behalf.  She can receive mail but not send it to LN.  Please reply to the
list as well as to her.
Rachel

Dear Lactnetters,

I'm posting with the mother's permission.

There is a baby whom I first visited when he was 11 days old. Mother was
concerned about milk supply, needed basic information and help with
positioning and latch. She was engorged. She had sore, cracked nipples. Baby
was very sleepy, bf every four hours from one breast per nursing,
supplemented with formula from a bottle and used a pacifier. After my visit
we kept in touch over the phone and slowly everything seemed to work out
fine. About two weeks ago the baby started being fussy at the breast, seemed
to have problems with mother's strong MER. We worked that out, too. But
since the mother was afraid to take the bottle and the pacifier away
totally, I was still a bit concerned.

Today she called me saying that the baby -6 weeks old now- is refusing her
breasts when awake. Swallows a few drops and stops. Beautifully nursing when
asleep. No signs of dehydration so far, has enough wet diapers. He does not
get a bottle anymore and the last time they used the pacifier was 1 week ago
(when visiting grandma where mom
was not comfortable nursing baby *all the time*). Mom checked baby's suck
with her finger and reported that he was pushing out her finger with his
tongue. But when she bended her finger, baby was biting it with his gums!!!
And baby has been heavily drooling for 3 days now!!! Could this be the sign
of teething at this age???

I will visit them again tomorrow and check baby's mouth, looking for signs
of thrush or anything that might hurt him. At the moment I'm thinking about
cup feeding the baby for a day or two, only nursing when asleep.  But I
would love to read your ideas and suggestions!

Thanks in advance,

Ibolya Eva Rozsa, IBCLC, LLLL
Hungary