Date:
Fri, 27 Apr 2001 11:32:56 EDT
Would that I could say I had never seen a blanching nipple!

I am prone to various insults in the left nipple -- I think I once hurt it
with a pump when my oldest daughter was a newborn, and it's been somehow
sensitive ever since.   If I have yeast, I feel it there first; when I am
oversupplied, to which I am prone, it is always more extreme and more
uncomfortable on that side; if the latch is sloppy on both sides that one
will hurt; etc etc.

But in particular when any of those things do happen -- or when I get the odd
teething bite there, or whatever -- I get very visible and painful blanching,
with every feeding, often until all the primary problem's symptoms have been
gone a week or more.

It really helped me to realize (thanks to one of Jack's handouts) that it was
a secondary problem; that at least in my case, fixing the primary issue WILL
really, truly fix the Raynaud's too, just it will take a while longer. (like
a week or two longer, yuck; but not forever.)

So you might want to make sure your blanching mother realizes this, too --
that she may not need treatment (beside warmth and maybe tylenol, etc) to
make it go away, once she's addressed the latch & other issues effectively.

Btw, my own emergency relief treatment is to pinch the nipple as soon as I
feel the pain beginning, and rub it fast, for friction, between two fingers.
 Normally of course this would feel horrible, but relative to the spasm the
friction discomfort is trivial, and it is the fastest way I have found to
warm it up immediately.

Filled with sympathy, and glad not to have this going on in my own life just
at the moment,

Elisheva