From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2006 20:27:09 -0500
Hi Kathleen,
I didn't make up the part about reporting.  That's part of what we agree to
do when we sign on as IBCLCs.  It's in the Code of Ethics.  Yes, everyone I
see generates a report faxed to the primary care provider describing what my
assessment is and what care plan I've suggested.  That way, if something
I've suggested is medically contraindicated, then everyone can confer and
come up with a different plan.  Because this is a dyad we are dealing with,
sometimes things occur which affect the mom and the baby, hence both the
pediatrician or family practice doc get a copy of the report.  This has
proven to be the best way, over the years, to educate docs in my community
about better lactation care, and because it has shown me to be consistent
and careful and a good communicator, has turned out to be a very good
marketing tool.

Barbara Wilson-Clay, BSEd, IBCLC
Austin Lactation Associates
Lactnews Press