Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Oct 2006 20:22:00 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (35 lines)
Dear all:

I want to make it very clear that I am responding to repeated criticism by just a minority of the 
IBCLCs who have continued to criticize nonRN, non MD IBCLCs.  There has been a long history of 
this type of criticism from a minority.  In every post I try to make it clear that I do not think this is 
reflective of RNs and MDs --- it is only reflective of the individuals themselves.  

However, when assumptions are continually posted about the capabilities or lack thereof, of non 
RN and on MD IBCLCs which includes myself, I feel that I must speak up to point out the flaws in 
the assumptions that someone without your background is incapable of understanding your own 
background or might be inept should they apply themselves to your area of expertise.  

In response to a direct criticism that those who do not originally have a background in biology 
would have trouble fulfilling the minimal requirements in these fields, I say I have positive proof to 
the contrary among my nonbiology counterparts.  Again, a customs agent, an actor and a Latin 
instructor.  They all did fine in physiology, anatomy, biochemistry, nutrition, etc.  Believe it or not 
you can come from these backgrounds and not suffer from an inability to understand another 
field.  I do not believe that their nonbiology backgrounds held them back. 

If one criticizes another's skills without fully understanding another's skills, then one should be 
prepared for those one has originally criticized to respond in defense of their capabilities.

Best regards, Susan E. Burger, MHS, PhD, IBCLC

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET email list is powered by LISTSERV (R).
There is only one LISTSERV. To learn more, visit:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2