From:
Susan Burger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Oct 2006 20:22:00 -0400
Dear all:

I want to make it very clear that I am responding to repeated criticism by just a minority of the
IBCLCs who have continued to criticize nonRN, non MD IBCLCs.  There has been a long history of
this type of criticism from a minority.  In every post I try to make it clear that I do not think this is
reflective of RNs and MDs --- it is only reflective of the individuals themselves.

However, when assumptions are continually posted about the capabilities or lack thereof, of non
RN and on MD IBCLCs which includes myself, I feel that I must speak up to point out the flaws in
the assumptions that someone without your background is incapable of understanding your own
background or might be inept should they apply themselves to your area of expertise.

would have trouble fulfilling the minimal requirements in these fields, I say I have positive proof to
the contrary among my nonbiology counterparts.  Again, a customs agent, an actor and a Latin
instructor.  They all did fine in physiology, anatomy, biochemistry, nutrition, etc.  Believe it or not
you can come from these backgrounds and not suffer from an inability to understand another
field.  I do not believe that their nonbiology backgrounds held them back.

If one criticizes another's skills without fully understanding another's skills, then one should be
prepared for those one has originally criticized to respond in defense of their capabilities.

Best regards, Susan E. Burger, MHS, PhD, IBCLC