From:
Diane Perrone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2005 16:32:33 -0600
I saw a mother today with an eight month old baby boy, her second.  He
has bilateral torticollis and is receiving therapy for this, but still
has tenderness around his head a shoulders.  She has been nursing him
since birth and he is now also eating solids and loving them.  He has
been progressing well, but was slow to sit up.  About two weeks ago, he
mastered sitting unsupported and promptly began to crawl and pull up to
stand.  So he has caught up quickly.  He is very alert and bright, but
BF only briefly, 2-3 minutes,  6-8 times a day.  His weight gain has
been slow, starting at 7-14.  At six months he was 14 lbs.  Recently, he
surpassed 16 lbs, but now has lost a little weight.  His ped finds him
in the 3rd percentile for weight and is asking mother to feed formula.

Mother has an Avent ISIS and had been able to pump 4-5 oz. when she
needed to be away briefly.  She had not pumped for several weeks and now
finds that she only gets 1-2 oz.  I advised her about ways to build her
milk supply, including Dr. Jack's prodocol.  She rented a hospital grade
pump and double  pumping kit.  I did suggest letting him straddle her
knee to BF and see if he might find that comfortable.

Does anyone have experience with torticollois and suggestions to pass on
to this mother?

Diane Perrone, RNC
Materna Wellborn
Algonquin  IL  USA