From:
Barbara Latterner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2001 08:35:13 EDT
In a message dated 5/17/01 10:07:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< I've heard a number of women over the years say "I hadn't intended to
 breastfeed, but the baby was born early (or with a problem) and the
 neonatologist told me I HAD TO, so I did." >>

Kathy,

I agree.  My NICU experience was brief and 31 yrs ago (fresh out of Nursing
school), so I remember nothing but formula feeding via gavage for premies,
and it was rare to see BFing moms with their term infants; so hats off to
those of you who work today in such stressful, high-tech NICU's where infants
are so much more fragile than those little ones I ever saw.  I recently had
the pleasure and honor to hear Paula Meier speak at a conference; of course,
she was fantastic!  I learned so much but overall what I will never forget
and hope to always apply to my private practice clientele was her amazing
empowerment of mothers and respect for their ability to provide their infants
with their milk, without question of whether they could, it was just an
expectation.

Two things especially relevant to this discussion, I believe:  at Rush the
neonatologist says to mom (my understanding was this occurred shortly after
birth) "we need your milk as medicine for your baby for the first week and
after that breastmilk is more of a food."  (They are referring to expression
of colostrum and breastmilk and my quote may not be 100% accurate)  This,
Paula said, is how they have a 100% initiation rate of early breastmilk
feeding.
The other vital message I took home from this conference was the empowerment
of mothers and their need for education and scientific information so that
they understand why breastmilk is so important for their babies; Paula
referred over and over again the importance of "bringing science to the
bedside."  She stated that "bringing breastmilk to their babies was the only
tangible hold these moms have on their babies" (when so fragile in
beginning);  also, that "the times Mothers feel guilty about not BFing is
when they don't have information."

Needless to say, I was impressed with the presentation by Paula and learned
so much, scientifically, as well.  But the single most important (to me, at
least) "fact" was the need to empower women, respect their capacity for
knowledge and information, and as iIlove doing, to work in partnership with
them.

Wish all NICU's could have a presentation by Dr. Meier, just as I wish every
hosp had a milk bank and a Barbara Wilson Clay, etc, etc....there is so much
to learn.

Barbara Latterner, BSN, RN, IBCLC
Brewster, NY