From:
Patrica Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Dec 1998 06:34:26 -0500
Actually nurses probably "know" as much about bottlefeeding as they do BF.
That is they BF or bot fed and know how they did it.  There are no actual
classes on how-to bot feed.  Tips we pick up, don't prop, cradle baby en
face  (I HATE to see moms bot feeding babies with baby's back against her
tummy, baby facing out, not towards mom), clean technique vs sterile
technique - the old "I did it and it worked for me" reasoning.

Another reason to see bot fdg moms is to let them  know how to deal  with
engorgement as comfortably as possible <gasp> engorgement isn't really
punishment for not BFing.  I find being open and accepting goes a long way
and I'm always pleased and surprised when a mom nurses the next baby or
tries a few days with this one because of what I've told her.
Sincerely, Pat in SNJ