From:
Denise Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 May 2001 21:30:59 +1000
Magda writes:
<quote>Denise, with great respect, I have the video you gave the link to,
and I
would not use with a mother as a matter of routine -- only if I were into
some very remedial positioning and attachment work. <unquote>

Magda I use this technique with all the new mothers I assist to
breastfeed.  The mothers do find it very easy to understand.  I show the
'real baby' part of it during antenatal classes.  One of the most common
struggling for a day or so to latch properly, is "Why didn't anyone else
show me this - it's so easy" (meaning the technique, not the video).
In my private practice where the most common problem I encounter is nipple
damage or pain due to incorrect latch I show them this technique and fix
the problem 'just like that'.  I nearly feel guilty asking them to pay for
the consult.

For those who haven't seen the video, the result is similar to the
'asymmetrical latch'.  The differences I think (having only ever seen
diagrams and descriptions or your asym latch) is that the baby is lined up
with mouth directly opposite the nipple - as opposed to nose opposite
nipple.  the hand on the same side as the breast shapes the breast, with
the thumb being quite close to the nipple and downwards pressure of the
thumb causing the nipple to then tilt 'up the baby's nose'.  All the rest
is the same... bottom gum as close to edge of areola as physiologically
possible.  There is more areola to be seen above top lip then below bottom lip.

<quote> I showed it at a Christmas get-together of local Supporters and
trainees and
the most interesting comment was 'I have been breastfeeding [four children]
for the last 8 years, and I can't understand what she is telling me to do'.
<unquote>

Ah well this could be the reason why you don't see a need for it.  Once you
have a baby that opens wide enough to take in half a granny smith apple, as
they very quickly get to, then you certainly don't need this technique.  I
tell the mothers that in a week or two, when the baby knows exactly what he
is doing, that she won't even look to see him attach - she'll just pull him
in the crook of her elbow while she continues to chat to her friend, and it
won't take long to get to that stage.

Back to the hospital situation... a common comment I hear from the midwives
is - the baby won't open wide to latch.  No when the nipple is just being
offered directly at the lips, few newborns see any reason to open very
wide.  But as soon as you tilt that nipple up their nose, the baby gapes
beautifully.

<quote> . I hope to show to some professionals at a 'video critiquing
session' I have just proposed to a
group in my region. But part of the reason for this would be to tease out
the helpful elements of the video <unquote>

Great idea.  I'd be really interested in hearing their comments.  It would
be good though if someone were to use the technique with newborns, or
mothers experiencing breastfeeding problems due to simple poor latch to
share their experience of it.

Denise

Denise Fisher BN, RN, RM, IBCLC
BreastEd Online Lactation Studies