Date:
Thu, 30 Apr 1998 09:57:40 +0300
HI, I am temporarily off-line for reasons I won't go into at the moment,
but I have a wonderful project and I would love some input either from your
experience or fantasies.  My e-mail address is:

I am an LC who has been working in a large maternity hospital in Tel Aviv
since January. I have a private out-patient clinic in the hospital which
serves the whole country.  It is one of the first real hospital-based
Lactation programs in Israel, so politically I am still treading on
eggshells.  The hospital where I work was one of the most baby-unfriendly
hospitals and breastfeeding-hostile in the past.  Slowly, we are overcoming
these problems.  Until now, due to the large number of births (700/month)
and the lack of overall rooming-in, I have been helping mothers in a group
setting in the staff room which is furnished with many uncomfortable chairs
and a large table in the middle.  Bare, very stark, not the ideal setting.
My dream is to have a breastfeeding room with carpetting, rocking chairs,
classical music, lots of pillows, a library, and no sign that we are
anywhere near a hospital once you enter this room.
When I presented my idea to the head gynie, who is so pro-breastfeeding
that you know he himself would breastfeed if he could, he loved it.  He was
ready to take over some of the rooms in the ward to use for this purpose.

So, if any of you have a wonderful breastfeeding room in your hospital, I
would love ideas, photos, suggestions, any input you can offer.  I have
ideas in my head, but it is always great to hear from experience of others.

 Regards from the little state of Israel on its 50th birthday.  Esther
Grunis