From:
Cathy Bargar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Feb 1999 18:05:13 -0500
Thank you, Heather, for knowing the so-called shield I was talking about.
Most of the people I have occasion to talk about it with in the US have
never seen such a thing - makes me feel very old! The fact that I ever
produced a drop of milk at all using that thing is a testimony to the
miraculous and determined strength of the way we're built!

you say <<We keep saying shields are 'just a tool' - true. Maybe you should
have special licence to use one, awarded after specific training. And there
should be a health warning on the boxes.>>

When I first worked in the hosp., there were no shields stocked, but the
nurses were quite fond of taking a regular long artificial teat, cutting off
the end of it, and giving that as a so-called shield. They were very
churlish about giving up that practice, and I think they never did believe
that there was anything wrong with it(and probably back at it, now that I'm
gone and can't get them in trouble for it anymore!) Later, at WIC, after the
JHL issue about shield use came out, I did purchase a few to use through
WIC, but wrote policy that no one but an IBCLC (that was me, within the
agency)could give them out or recommend the use of them, and I included
appropriate use, management, and follow-up in the policy even though it was
only I that even knew where the things were kept. You would have thought I
was talking about dispensing plutonium or something. rather than a little
piece of silicone anyone could buy at the local pharmacy!

Cathy Bargar, RN, IBCLC