From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Mar 2010 12:47:21 -0600
Aimee,
I would definitely stop all the thrush meds in mom and baby, including the
lansinoh if she is still using that.
I would have the nipple cultured and figure on a bacterial infection,
possibly staph inlcuding MRSA. She will likely need systemic antibiotic
treatment, she should cleanse her nipples with mild soap and water a couple
times a day, or saline, she may also apply topical antibiotic ointment.  She
could use gel pads if she is really macerated. She will also likely need
pain medication, which could be prescription or over the counter
anti-inflammatory. I would also suggest probiotics for mom while on the
antibiotics. I would also counsel her to wash hands very well and often,
also pump parts if pumping. The baby could also have a nasal culture done.
I always counsel moms with these symptoms to be aware and watchful for
mastitits and report immediately.
You should also be able to find in the archives many posts about bacterial
infection being mistaken for and treated as yeast, and I'm pretty sure you
can find similar articles in JHL.
Laurie Wheeler MN RN IBCLC
Mississippi USA