From:
Ellen Rubin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Dec 2015 08:15:20 -0500
I feel like we've had this discussion here before!

Any mother who hears "x-position is better than y" has likely not first been asked, "What has been working for you?"  So that is where we begin and finish - with the mother as the expert.  I've met women who have come for a consult in significant pain because they have been told that football is the only way to feed a newborn or that laid back is superior to all other positions.  Some have secretly tried other positions and hidden their attempts from breastfeeding teachers.  More than once, mothers have shared that their first pain-free breastfeeding experience is in the cross-cradle.

This is the beauty of having two breasts.  During a consult I encourage mothers to feed baby however is comfortable for them on the first side and, if necessary, we work to tweak it to be even more comfortable.  Starting where she is at sets up a positive learning environment.  On the second side, I may introduce a new position to trial, all the while ensuring the family that I am there to follow their lead.

Ellen

Ellen Rubin, MA, IBCLC, LLLL