From:
Lesley Robinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 1996 22:01:20 -0500
Dear Beth,

I agree with you that Ruth Lawrence is hardly encouraging on this topic!  I
don't have another reference for you, but can share some anecdotal
information.  I helped a mother with swelling such as you describe, although
it did not bother her until after delivery.  She suffered severe engorgement
in her armpits and spent a lot of time in a hot shower and using warm
compresses.  The symptoms abated after a few days.  I would imagine this
would be similar to the experience of a mother who chooses not to breastfeed
and can not imagine why anyone would suggest that this mother should not do
so.

Lesley Robinson, IBCLC, LLL Leader
Corning, NY