Date:
Mon, 21 May 2001 15:53:33 EDT
Gail posted,

> that's why I think the "Babies love it!" approach might work.=20
>
> I've seen families put themselves near financial ruin just to get their =
> kids what they "want".
>
> I guess it's a matter of control.  What do you guys think?

I love it!  Yes -- I think it is a great idea.  The problem that I see is
that mothers who choose to bottle feed do so because it is what they perceive
as best for "them."  The mothers who choose to breastfeed do it (at least
initially) because it is best for the baby.  So I'm not sure the "Babies love
it" will capture the market we are looking for -- which is the mothers who
are going to mother according to their perceptions of what is best for
themselves.

Just today....sigh.....a mom who bottle fed her first two, and decided to
"try" to breastfeed her third, told me she did try a couple of hours after I
saw her in the hospital yesterday morning and went through all my teaching.
She tried for 10 minutes, and decided "it isn't for me.  I bottle fed my
other two, and this baby just LOVES the bottle and is doing SOOOO well on it
-- and after all, I have to do what makes ME comfortable, so I decided to
bottle feed."

I smiled and left.  The things I wanted to say, I couldn't say and not be
fired from my job.....so I decided that I better not say anything.

I hope the mother gets twitches in her eyelids and tics in her hands every
time she picks up a bottle.  I feel so sorry for that baby.

To be charitable, maybe there was a hx of sexual abuse.  But somehow, I don't
think so.....

Jan -- not feeling charitable in the least.  Feeling very grumpy about this
one.  Especially since I have a feeling she will want the "best" for her
child in every area but the one that counts the most -- the giving of herself.