From:
Darillyn Starr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 15:58:05 -0700
I agree with Lynn, that Alimentum is not non-allergenic, so the fact that
this baby didn't improve on it is not evidence that eliminating dairy from
mom's diet would not help.  I remember an article looking at rates of cow's
milk allergies in infants, by type of formula.  It showed that most babies
who could not tolerate the standard cow-milk based formulas did better on
casein hydrolysate formulas, but there were a few who did not.  This would
have been before they came out with Alimentum, but I believe the protein for
that is the same as in Nutramigen and Pregestimil.   I do have another
article suggesting that some babies who cannot tolerate the casein
hydrolysate formulas improve on a whey hydrolysate formula, if that is any
help. (Whey Protein Hydrolysate Formula for Infants with Gastrointestinal
Intolerance to Cow Milk and Soy Protein in Infant Formulas, J Pediatr
Gastroenterol Nutr, Vol. 11, No. 1, 1990)

Darillyn Starr